Many people enjoy a regular coffee habit, but what is good and what is too much?
Here is the caffeine in some of our regular drinks:
Coffee shop coffee: 100-400mg
Instant coffee: 100mg
Black tea: 75mg
100g dark chocolate: 50mg
Can of coke: 50mg
Green tea: 35 mg
Consuming too much coffee can cause sleeping difficulties, increase your heart rate, cause stomach upset, restlessness, increase stress and anxiety and cause mood swings. Another problem is that the more you consume the more your body gets used to it so the stimulating effects wear off unless you drink more.
Your goal: Aim to keep your intake no more than 3mg/kg body weight per day.
If you are getting more than this here are some tips on cutting down your coffee:
- Start by weaning off caffeine slowly!
- Get enough sleep, if you are tired you are more likely to go looking for that energy hit. Be sure to avoid caffeine after 1 pm so it doesn’t effect your sleep.
- Stay hydrated with water. Water should be your number one drink, even better if you add a squeeze of lemon juice. Check you are drinking enough water by looking at the colour of your urine – it should be straw coloured.
- Drink herbal teas as an alternative
- If you are feeling tired try going for a brisk walk rather than grabbing a coffee.