Smiling is easy when you’re carefree and everything is going well. But most of us don’t realise just how powerful a smile can be. Not only the way you can lift someone else’s mood with your smile (a kind smile can feel like a hug) but also the cascade of biochemical changes that happen in your own body when you smile.
When you smile your body releases feel good neurotransmitters: dopamine, endorphins and serotonin AND helps to stop the stress hormone cortisol flooding the body. Smiling will help you to feel not just happy but uplifted, confident, relaxed and positive.
The best bit is that your body will respond to your smile whether it is real or fake so the best way to lift your mood even though you really won’t want to is put a big smile on your face and even laugh out loud – fake it ‘til you make it!
Look at yourself in the mirror and give yourself the biggest grin possible.
5 ways to smile more:
- Surround yourself with happy positive people
- Just do it – decide to be a smiley person
- Make time for yourself: it is easier to smile when you aren’t stressed and rushing
- Play, have fun, be present in the moment.
- Carry a photo with you that always puts a smile on your face.
No excuses – now you know how powerful your beautiful smile is!